If you would like a sneak preview of the notices and save us paper, email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the mailing list.
Sunday 15th March 2020
15th March (3rd of Lent)
The Values of Jesus
Wisdom and Honesty
9.30 am Morning Prayer Graham Shaw & Veronica Johnston
11.00 am Informal Worship with Holy Communion Graham Shaw & Veronica Johnston
Readings Luke 16:1-15
Coming up at Christ Church
|Sun 15th March 11.00am Gems, Rocksolid & Crypt Mission House & Church
3.00pm Drop In Church
Mon 16th 7.30pm Alpha Course Mission House
Tues 17th All day Organ Tuning & Maintenance Church
7.30pm PCC Meeting Mission House
Thurs 19th 7.30pm Messy Church Meeting Mission House
Fri 20th 7.00pm Ladies Clothes Swap Shop Mission House
Sat 21st 9.30am Flowers for Mothering Sunday Mission House
7.30pm Mothering Sunday Runaways Church
- A Good Read: Following on from Graham’s sermon last Sunday, these books come highly recommended – “The Return of the Prodigal Son – A Story of Homecoming” by Henri J. M. Nouwen and “The Prodigal God” by Tim Keller. Both books are in stock and available from Eden www.eden.co.uk.
- COVID–19 Guidance from the Archbishops of Canterbury and York: “It is our view, in light of the continued increase of COVID-19 cases in the United Kingdom, that it is now necessary to suspend the administration of the chalice as well as physical contact during the sharing of the peace, blessing or ‘laying on of hands’”. Therefore, at Christ Church we will be offering only bread and will not be greeting each other physically when sharing the peace. We will of course keep you updated as the situation progresses.
- Mothering Sunday: Men of Christ Church, because of the great job you did last year, you are invited once again to prepare flowers to be given out to the ladies of Christ Church at the Mothering Sunday service on 22nd March. Coffee and croissants will be on hand at the Mission House, 9.30am this Saturday 21st March. Please do come along if even to keep Alec company…
- Mothering Sunday Runaways: A quiet, reflective service at Christ Church which will be a safe space for those who normally avoid church on Mothering Sunday. Whatever your story, whether you are grieving the loss of a mother; loss of a child, or a baby through miscarriage, whether you are struggling with infertility and childlessness, through liturgy, poetry, music and stories, you will be offered the space to grieve, learn how to lament and invite the God who loves us into our struggles. Saturday 21st March 7.30pm at Christ Church.
- PCC: Our wonderful PCC will be meeting at the Mission House on Tuesday 17th March. Please give thanks for their gifts and skills and their willingness to share them for the benefit of our church.
- Internships 2020/21: For a full story of what the Internship entails and an application form, follow this link https://www.christchurchchester.com/interns/. The deadline for applications is Easter Day, Sunday 12th April. Interviews will be held from Sunday 19th Please give, post (address is on the form) or email your completed form to Ralph Kemp at email@example.com. This program will be invaluable to its participants in taking 10 months out to focus on God, explore His call and develop ministry and leadership skills for the future.
- Swap Shop Clothes, Cake & Coco: Ladies, please join us at the Mission House, Friday 20th March, 7.30 – 8.45pm. This is an evening for the women of Christ Church to get to know one another more and have fun together whilst considering how we can take positive steps for our world in relation to fast fashion. There will also be a short talk about the labels we wear. It’s time for a spring clear out of your wardrobe – please donate washed, pre-loved clothes to Amy Walker, Irene McClenaghan or Alice Ramage by Saturday 14th March. For more information, please contact Amy Walker on 07712 253183.
- Revision of Electoral Roll 2020: The Electoral Roll will be revised between Sunday 22nd March and Sunday 12th April. You are eligible to join the Roll if you are aged 16 or over, are baptised, and have worshipped regularly at Christ Church for 6 months or more at the time of application. Application Forms are available from Janet Thorp, and they should be returned to her at the latest by 12th April. Please inform Janet of any change in name and/or address if you were on the 2019 Roll. If you have any questions, there is a FAQ sheet at the back of church.
- Easter Services at Christ Church: Thursday 9th April is Maundy Thursday and there will be an evening service with a small, shared meal to commemorate the Last Supper beginning at 7.30pm. The following day 10th April is Good Friday and there will be an evening service of Meditation on the Cross at 6.00pm. On Easter Sunday 12th April there will be one joint service at 10.30am.
- Baptism & Confirmation 2020: This year’s Baptism & Confirmation Service will take place at the River Dee on Sunday 31st May which is Pentecost. This will replace the normal two services at Christ Church and will be at 11.00am. If you have been thinking and praying about either Baptism or Confirmation, please let Graham or Ralph know.
- New Wine United 2020: As usual, Christ Church will be attending Week 2 of New Wine at Peterborough – Sunday 2nd – Saturday 8th August. Tickets are on sale and the early bird discount ends on 8th April so don’t miss out. To book visit https://www.new-wine.org/events/united-20-week-2
- Christian Aid Lent Lunches: At 12.00 noon each Monday during Lent, beginning on Monday 2nd March, lunches are held at the Quaker Meeting House in Frodsham Street. There is a suggested donation of £5 which buys a simple lunch and a gift to Christian Aid. No booking required.
- Chester Bible Focus: In depth Bible teaching, right on your doorstep. Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd April at 7.30pm with David Cook speaking on Wisdom in the book of Proverbs. Venue All Saints, Hoole, Chester. CH2 3HZ. Tickets are £3 for one evening or £5 for both evenings. Refreshments are included and Manna Bookshops will provide a bookstall. For more details visit www.chesterbiblefocus.org.uk.
- Thy Kingdom Come 2020: There will be an open meeting to share vision and plans on Thursday 19th March 8.00pm at the Melbourne Centre, Blacon. There will be the opportunity to share information about what is happening across the city; discover more about how individuals and churches can get involved; find out about prayer walking the city walls (Richard and Wendy Price) and explore available resources.
- Room to Let: Andrew Burton, a member of Christ Church is looking for an en-suite room in a shared house in Chester, preferably with Christians and preferably walking distance to Christ Church. If you can help please contact Andrew on 07843 807463.
- West Cheshire Foodbank #40for40: If you are looking for a way to support the Foodbank at Lent, why not take part in one of their campaigns. Donate 40p that you would have spent each day on chocolate, cake, alcohol or whatever you have given up to the 40 pence for 40 days appeal. Even though Lent has already started, find a jam jar and start collecting!
AND THE USUAL…
- Vicar, Rev Graham Shaw contact details: 57 Black Diamond Park, Newtown, Chester CH1 3ET (Graham’s day off is Friday) Phone 07579 775572, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Vicar, Rev Ralph Kemp contact details: Phone 07762 847211, email email@example.com (Ralph’s day off is Saturday)
- Administrator, Carys Addison: If you wish to contact the church on any administration matters or if you have any notices for inclusion in the notice sheet, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07443 584528 and leave a message. Office days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Lay Reader, Veronica Johnston contact details: Phone (01244) 671216, email email@example.com.
- Interns: Interns 2019/20 are Shona Hookham, Tobi Fagbemi and Dion Turnbull firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday School: During the 11.00am service, Christ Church operates three children’s groups: Gems, the younger group is aimed at ages 2-6 years (under 2’s welcome with an accompanying adult). Rocksolid, is for children aged 6 plus. Crypt is our group for ages 10 and over. For babies and under 2’s, there is a purpose-built Crèche area in the vestry, complete with a TV link to the service. For further details, speak to Hannah Giddings email@example.com. Please ensure that you fill out a registration form if your child is attending for the first time – available from the group leader at the beginning of the session.
- Drop In: For information about Drop In, please contact Sue Ibrahim: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Connect Groups: Joining a Christ Church Connect Group is a great way to enjoy mid-week fellowship and Bible study. If you are interested, please email Connect Group Coordinator Shona Hookham email@example.com.
- Building Maintenance: If you notice and building-related problem either at church or the Mission House, do please contact Andrew Wigglesworth firstname.lastname@example.org who is one of our Church Wardens.
- Giving at Christ Church: Giving or tithing is an important part of being a member of a church. At Christ Church, we don’t take a collection at the 11.00am service, but you can give either via the donation box at the back of church, directly via the ‘4 Ways to Give’ page of the website, or by setting up a standing order at your bank. www.christchurchchester.com.
- Expense claims and other administration paperwork: Please place in the post-box marked ‘Church Admin’ in the vestry on the wall by the safe. Alternatively, post through the Mission House letterbox.
- Church Website: Our website has a backlog of past sermons, and information www.christchurchchester.com. You can also follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/christchurchchester, Twitter www.twitter.com/ChChChester and Instagram www.instagram.com/christchurchchester.
- Hearing Loop: A hearing Loop facility is available at Christ Church, but please be aware that it is not compatible with the music microphone system at the 11 o’clock service.