If you would like a sneak preview of the notices and save us paper, email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the mailing list.
Sunday 18th November
|18th November (2nd before Advent)
Ephesians: A Message for the Saints
Masters and Slaves
9.30 am Morning Prayer Graham Shaw & Tasha Peto
11.00 am Holy Communion Graham Shaw & Tasha Peto
Readings Ephesians 6:5-9
Coming up at Christ Church
|Sun 18th 11.00am Gems, Rocksolid & The Crypt Mission House
Mon 19th 7.00pm Student Connect Group Mission House
Sat 24th 7.00pm Christ the King Banquet Church
- Christ Church Christmas Choir: This year we are bringing a different role for the choir to the Christmas Carol Service. Instead of showcasing pieces, we will be learning descants for the congregational carols. There will be two rehearsals – one on Sunday 2nd December and then one beforehand on the day of the Carol Service, Sunday 9th December. If you are interested in singing in the choir, please email Carys – email@example.com.
- Christmas Cards: The 2019 Christmas Cards have arrived and a massive thank you to Kerry for sharing her talents and producing them. All the information about the Christ Church Christmas Services and events is on the back, making them ideal to let your friends and family know what is going on. Please take a handful from the back of church, available from this Sunday. Flyering Sunday – 2nd December.
- Christ the King Banquet: The Banquet evening will be games themed (although, if some craft lovers would like to bring their skills and talents, this could easily be added to the formula). On Saturday 24th November come along to Christ Church at 7.00pm for a family-friendly (kids activities included) evening with a bring and share meal, fun and games! If you have an amazing game you would like to share with and teach others, or would like to help with organising the event, please contact Andy firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Christ Church Christmas Lights: At 6.00pm on Thursday 6th December after decorating the tree, Christ Church will be officially switching on the new Christmas lights! Afterwards a Christmas film will be shown in church with hot chocolate and food included.
- Cadet Carol Service: 610 (City of Chester) Squadron RAF Air Cadets will be hosting their annual Carol Service at Christ Church on Friday 7th December at 7.00pm. The service will be followed by refreshments and a chance to meet cadets and staff from the squadron.
- Christ Church Christmas Carol Service: Put this date in your diaries folks – This year our amazing Carol Service will take place on Sunday 9th December. Be sure to arrive in time for a good seat and a prompt 7.00pm start. Stay for refreshments and a chat afterwards.
- Women’s Christmas Craft Event: On Saturday 15th December, women of Christ Church take a break from Christmas shopping and sign up for an afternoon of craft (to take home) and fellowship. Bring along a festive mug and enjoy a warming drink of mulled wine (or a non-alcoholic alternative) and some Christmas treats. Invitations for your friends will be available at church along with a sign-up sheet (there are only 30 places, so don’t miss out). 2.00 – 4.30pm at the Mission House, childcare provided for ages 3+.
- Newtown Christmas Celebration: On Monday 17th December the Newtown community are holding a Christmas celebration on St Anne’s field. Starting at 6.00pm, the Chester Brass Band will be playing carols, Father Christmas will be on hand for the youngsters and the Christmas tree lights will be lit. All welcome.
- Christmas Services at Christ Church: With only six weeks to go until the day, here are the dates and times of our Christmas Services: Monday 24th December (Christmas Eve) at 4.00pm – Christingle Service; 11.00pm – Midnight Communion; Tuesday 25th December 10.30am – Christmas Day Celebration.
- Night Shelter for Rough Sleepers: Christ Church is to open the Mission House as part of a scheme to accommodate homeless people overnight in extreme weather conditions. ForFutures, an organisation funded by the Council, would bring beds for 12 people and provide staff to supervise through the night. Volunteers would be very welcome to be there in the evening to chat, play board games and serve an evening meal or in the morning to serve breakfast and clear up. It would be on Thursday nights when the temperature falls close to freezing. For more information contact Veronica Johnston 01244 671216/07985 904859 or email@example.com.
- Fallen Angels Dance Theatre: Founder and director, choreographer Paul Bayes Kitcher, has brought together his experience as a classical dancer with Birmingham Royal Ballet and extensive work in movement and dance theatre with people recovering from addiction to create productions that provide a unique, emotive and thought-provoking experience. On Wednesday 28th November they have a performance on at the Storyhouse Garret Theatre. “Acts of Recovery” is a dance theatre performance exploring authentic real life stories of recovery from addiction. The highlight of the performance will be Fallen Angels Dance Theatre performance “The War Within”. 7.45pm, tickets £10. https://www.storyhouse.com/event/acts-of-recovery.
- Come Lord Jesus: Led by the Ven Mike Gilbertson, a chance to begin Advent with a sense of expectation, engaging with scripture, poetry, music and art. A time to reflect on the meaning of Jesus’ first coming in Bethlehem, His future coming as King and how He comes to meet us in everyday life today. £165 per person, 4.00pm Friday 30th November – 2.00pm Sunday 2nd December. Booking forms and further details are available from: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01928 733777.
- Walking Nativity: St Peters, along with Northgate church, will present a walking nativity in the city centre on Sunday 9th December, beginning at the Eastgate clock at 3.30pm. Enactments from the Christmas story will take place on the Rows and people will walk up Eastgate singing carols to arrive at the stable outside St Peters for more singing and refreshments in the church.
- West Cheshire Foodbank: A great way to help out this year is to put together a Reverse Advent Calendar – add an item to a box for each day of Advent and then donate your box in January, when the warehouse is open again after Christmas. Most needed items are: UHT Milk and Juice, Cereal/Porridge, Tinned Potatoes, Tinned Meat, Coffee, Biscuits, Tinned Custard, Pasta/Curry Sauces, Jams, Cuppa Soup and Instant Mash.
AND THE USUAL…
- Vicar, Rev Graham Shaw contact details: 57 Black Diamond Park, Newtown, Chester CH1 3ET (Graham’s day off is Friday) Phone (01244) 325302, email email@example.com.
- Associate Vicar, Rev Ralph Kemp contact details: Phone 07762 847211, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrator, Carys Addison: If you wish to contact the church on any administration matters or if you have any notices for inclusion in future notice sheets, please email email@example.com or call 07443 584528 and leave a message. (Wednesday noon is the deadline for notices). Office days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Interns: Ed Newman firstname.lastname@example.org, Kerry Bowler email@example.com, Shona Hayes firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday School: During the 11.00am service, Christ Church operates two children’s groups, Gems, the younger group is aimed at ages 2-6 years (under 2’s welcome with an accompanying adult). Rocksolid, the older group is for children aged 6 plus. For babies and under 2’s, there is a purpose built Crèche area in the vestry, complete with a TV link to the service. For further details, speak to Hannah Giddings email@example.com
- Drop In: For information about Drop In, please contact Sue Ibrahim: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect Groups: Joining a Christ Church Connect Group is a great way to enjoy mid-week fellowship and Bible study. If you are interested and would like more information, please email Carys email@example.com.
- Giving at Christ Church: Giving or tithing is an important part of being a member of a church. At Christ Church we don’t take a collection at the 11.00am service, but you can give either via the donation box at the back of church, directly via the ‘4 Ways to Give’ page of the website, or by setting up a standing order at your bank. Forms are also available on the website; go to ‘Giving’ then ‘4 Ways to Give’. www.christchurchchester.com
- Text Giving: Don’t forget you can now donate to Christ Church via your mobile. Just text CHCH33 £3 to 70070 and you will donate £3 to Christ Church.
- Expense claims and other administration paperwork: Please place in the postbox marked ‘Church Admin’ in the vestry on the wall by the safe. Alternatively, post through the Mission House letterbox.
- Church Website: Our website has a backlog of past sermons, and information about what’s going on at church on www.christchurchchester.com. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/christchurchchester), Twitter (www.twitter.com/ChChChester) and Instagram www.instagram.com/christchurchchester
- Hearing Loop: A Hearing or Induction Loop takes a sound source and transfers it directly to a hearing aid without background noise, interference or acoustical distortion. This facility is available at Christ Church, but please be aware that it is not compatible with the music microphone system at the 11 o’clock service.