If you would like a sneak preview of the notices and save us paper, email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the mailing list.
Sunday 18th March
|18th March (5th of Lent)
Dethroning Mammon: Making Money Serve Grace
What we give we gain
9.30 am Morning Prayer Graham Shaw & Ralph Kemp
11.00 am Holy Communion Graham Shaw & Ralph Kemp
Reading John 19:38-42
2 Corinthians 8:1-7
This week at Christ Church
|Sun 18th 11.00am Gems & Rocksolid Mission House
3.00pm Drop In Church
6.30pm Easter Choir Practice Church
Mon 19th 7.00pm Alpha Mission House
Weds 21st 9.00am Study Café Mission House
7.00pm D’Biz Mission House
Fri 23rd 7.30pm Student Connect Group Mission House
- Easter Choir Practice: This Sunday evening 18th March 6.30pm at Church and each Sunday until the 10.30am joint Easter Day service on Sunday 1st Speak to/email Dan for full details email@example.com.
- Revision of Church Electoral Roll 2018: The Electoral Roll will be revised between Sunday 18th March and Sunday 1st April. You are eligible to be on the Roll if you are aged 16 or over, are baptised and have worshipped at Christ Church for 6 months. Please ask Janet Thorp, our Electoral Roll Officer for an application form. If you are already on the Roll but have changed your address since last year’s Roll, please let Janet know your new address.
- Prayer Needed: You may have heard that there is a proposal to reserve all parking around the church for resident permit-holders only. If this goes through there will be no free parking anywhere near the church on a Sunday morning, as the proposal seems to be for a 7-day restriction. Please prayerfully consider what this might mean for you and maybe an appropriate response to the council. More details at the Sunday services.
- The Mean Bean Challenge: The official dates for the challenge are just around the corner – Monday 19th – Friday 23rd March (but it can be done anytime). It means five days of only water to drink, porridge made with water for breakfast and rice and beans with only salt to season, the basic normal diet of more than half the world. Money raised or saved is collected by Tearfund, a Christian charity working in Africa and around the world to lift people out of material and spiritual poverty, through a network of 100,000 local churches. For full details visit the website: https://www.tearfund.org/en/about_you/fundraise/mean_bean_challenge/.
- Congo Appeal: In view of the current political and humanitarian crisis in DR Congo and our strong links with Aru and Boga Dioceses, the PCC would like for Christ Church to give a gift of £3,000, towards aiding displaced people in Bunia, and other issues arising from the conflict. Any donations towards this gift would be gratefully accepted; the PCC are committed to making up the difference to £3,000. If you would like to give, please mark your donation ‘Congo’, either via our giving envelopes near the donation box in church, by cheque made out to ‘Christ Church PCC’, by bank transfer (ref: ‘Congo’), or via the website http://www.christchurchchester.com/giving/. Please remember, if your donation is eligible for Gift Aid, fill out a declaration on the back of our ‘4 Ways to Give’ cards, again found at the back of church and place in the donations box. Thank you to all those who have already given.
- Easter Services: The Palm Sunday services on 25th March will include the usual walk to the Northgate Ponds and back. Maundy Thursday falls on 29th March and there will be a 7.30pm evening service to commemorate the Last Supper; a simple meal will be shared. The following day, Good Friday 30th March there will also be an evening service of meditation at 6.00pm. Easter Sunday falls on 1st April and there will be a joint 10.30am service – Graham’s last service before he leaves for his Sabbatical.
- Christians on the Frontline: On Sundays in the summer term we are looking to interview Christians in prominent roles in different areas of work as part of our series entitled ‘Fruitfulness on the Frontline’. If you know of any who you think would be suitable, please could you let Ralph know on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big Church Day Out: It’s coming to Cheshire again this year! 1st – 2nd June, close enough to go for the day, or come and camp with Christ Church on Friday and Saturday evenings. Let Eli Mitchell know if you’re interested or have questions (email@example.com) and sign up through Chester Diocese where tickets are only £28! (http://www.chester.anglican.org/mission/the-big-church-day-out/).
- New Wine 2018: The Christ Church group will be attending Week 2, Sunday 5th – Saturday 11th If you haven’t already bought your ticket, the Early Bird prices are available until Tuesday 3rd April after which Standard Rates will apply. For full details visit the website https://united.new-wine.org/.
- Christian Aid Lunches: At 12.00 noon each Monday during Lent, lunches are held at the Quaker Meeting House in Frodsham Street. There is a suggested donation of £5 which buys a simple lunch and a gift to Christian Aid. No booking required.
- The Light Project Open Day: Are you inspired by creative and pioneering mission and evangelism? Our degree course is highly practical whilst also thinking about some of the major issues about sensitivity and effectiveness in the 21st If this is you, come along to our Open Day for our Foundation Degree of Arts (FDA) in Theology Mission and Evangelism – a University of Chester degree run by The Light Project, on Saturday 24th March, 1pm to 4pm at our Chester base. This is for everyone who may be thinking about learning and studying, either part time or full time. We have a wide range of age groups and learning experiences within our group of students and this is a great opportunity to explore the idea, with no obligation. Visit our current online prospectus http://www.lightproject.org.uk/foundation-degree-of-arts-in-theology-mission-and-evangelism/.To book into the Open Day, contact Deri Fabian firstname.lastname@example.org / 07900 816484, or for more information please get in touch.
- 48 hours for Holy Week: ‘That’s where the light gets in…’ Led by Andrew and Wendy Rudd. Monday 26th at 4.00pm to Wednesday 28th March. ‘There is a crack in everything. That’s where the light gets in…’ Leonard Cohen. Be still and reflect on the mystery of Holy Week in the beautiful Spring environment of Foxhill. In short introductions, Andrew will bring words and music to lead us into periods of silence. Wendy will offer creative spaces for quiet reflection. Charge per person £168 including ensuite accommodation and all meals. Booking forms are available from email@example.com or Tel: 01928 733777.
- Stop Look and Listen Day: Monday 9th April: ‘A Listening Ear and a Praying Heart’ – How can I tune into God in everyday life? –Led by Gill Morgan, these mini day retreats are a chance to step back from your busyness, and listen to what God is saying to you. Each day starts with coffee at 9.30am and ends with tea at 3.30pm. Charge £22 per person – includes lunch and refreshments. We will explore strategies to help us tune into God in our daily lives. The day will be spent mainly in silence, and as we allow the silence to help us hear our inner voice there will be an opportunity to respond creatively (artistic ability not required!).
- Room to Rent: Bedroom to rent in a shared house close to the city centre (with Christ Church on the door step). The room contains a bed, wardrobe and chest of drawers. Rental cost £187 pcm, bills are separate and come up to £120 pcm. Room is available from Thursday 5th For more information, please speak to Mattie or phone 07821 805333.
- Room Wanted: Room required in a shared house on the north side of Chester. If you can help, please contact Andrew Wigglesworth firstname.lastname@example.org.
AND THE USUAL…
- Vicar, Rev Graham Shaw contact details: 57 Black Diamond Park, Newtown, Chester CH1 3ET (Graham’s day off is Friday) Phone (01244) 325302, email email@example.com
- Associate Vicar, Rev Ralph Kemp contact details: Phone 07762 847211, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrator, Carys Addison: If you wish to contact the church on any administration matters or if you have any notices for inclusion in future notice sheets, please email email@example.com or call 07443 584528 and leave a message. (Wednesday noon is the deadline for notices). Office days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Sunday School: During the 11.00am service, Christ Church operates two children’s groups, Gems, the younger group is aimed at ages 2-6 years (under 2’s welcome with an accompanying adult). Rocksolid, the older group is for children aged 6 plus. For babies and under 2’s, there is a purpose built Crèche area in the vestry, complete with a TV link to the service. For further details, speak to Hannah Giddings firstname.lastname@example.org and Beatrix Calow email@example.com
- Drop In: For information about Drop In, please contact Mattie Reilly: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D’Biz: For enquiries about our youth group, contact Eli Mitchell: email@example.com or Denzel Collins firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Connect Groups: Joining a Christ Church Connect Group is a great way to enjoy mid-week fellowship and Bible study. If you are interested and would like more information, please phone or text our Connect Group Coordinator, Anne Green on 07592 050040
- Giving at Christ Church: Giving or tithing is an important part of being a member of a church. At Christ Church we don’t take a collection at the 11.00am service, but you can give either via the donation box at the back of church, directly via the ‘4 Ways to Give’ page of the website, or by setting up a standing order at your bank. Forms are also available on the website; go to ‘Giving’ then ‘4 Ways to Give’. www.christchurchchester.com
- Text Giving: Don’t forget you can now donate to Christ Church via your mobile. Just text CHCH33 £3 to 70070 and you will donate £3 to Christ Church.
- Expense claims and other administration paperwork: Please place in the postbox marked ‘Church Admin’ in the vestry on the wall by the safe. Alternatively, post through the Mission House letterbox.
- Email Addresses: If you stop using an email address regularly and/or have a new one that you do use most days, could you please let Carys know. Likewise if you change your address or phone number. This helps to keep the Church Contact Database up to date. Contact details you give are strictly for church use and will not be shared with any third parties.
- Church Website: Our website has a backlog of past sermons, and information about what’s going on at church on www.christchurchchester.com. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/christchurchchester), Twitter (www.twitter.com/ChChChester) and Instagram www.instagram.com/christchurchchester
- Hearing Loop: A Hearing or Induction Loop takes a sound source and transfers it directly to a hearing aid without background noise, interference or acoustical distortion. This facility is available at Christ Church, but please be aware that it is not compatible with the music microphone system at the 11 o’clock service.