If you would like a sneak preview of the notices and save us paper, email email@example.com to add your name to the mailing list.
Sunday 24th March 2019
|24th March (3rd of Lent)
Jesus’ Passion through the eyes of clothing
Caiaphas’ Torn Robe
9.30 am Holy Communion Graham Shaw & Veronica Johnston
11.00 am Informal Worship Graham Shaw & Veronica Johnston
Readings Mark 14:53-65
Coming up at Christ Church
|Sun 24th 11.00am Gems, Rocksolid & The Crypt Mission House/Church
3.00pm Drop In Church
6.15pm Composers Guild Mission House
Mon 25th 7.00pm Alpha Mission House
Thurs 28th 10.45am Home Ed Drawing Class Mission House
Fri 29th 9.00am Organ Tuning Church
7.30pm Christ Church Mums Social Mission House
Sat 30th 10.30am Community Litterpick & BBQ Mission House
- Christ Church and Newtown Community Litterpick: On Saturday 30th March, Christ Church and the Newtown Community team are again joining forces to clean up the streets of Newtown. If you would like to join in, meet on the green outside Christ Church at 10.30am to get stuck in! This will also be a great opportunity to get to know members of the local community. All equipment is being provided by the council and afterwards, around 12.00pm, everyone will reconvene (weather permitting) for a BBQ on the Church green.
- Clocks and Mothers: Next Sunday 31st March we celebrate Mothering Sunday, so a heads up to all the Dads to remind all the kids, but before that a heads up to everyone – we will be launched into British Summer Time next Saturday night/Sunday morning (30th/31st) as the clocks go forward one hour.
- Text Giving: Please be aware that from the end of March, Text giving will no longer be available for use at Christ Church.
- New Electoral Roll 2019: Don’t forget that a whole new Roll for Christ Church is being prepared by Sunday 31st of March and this means everyone must complete and sign an Application Form to join the Roll. You will be eligible to join the Roll if you are aged 16 or over, are baptised, and have worshipped regularly at Christ Church for six months or more at the time of application. Application Forms are available from Janet Thorp, and they should be returned to her at the latest by Sunday 31st March. If you have any questions, there is a FAQ sheet at the back of church.
- New Wine 2019: As usual, Christ Church will be attending week 2 of New Wine at Peterborough – Sunday 4th – Saturday 10th August. Tickets are on sale and the early bird discount ends on 3rd April so don’t miss out. To book visit https://www.new-wine.org/week-2.
- Wedding: On Saturday 6th April, Christ Church will hold the first wedding of 2019! Tom Cobb and Lizzie Radcliffe would like to invite you, their church family to join them in celebrating their marriage with the service beginning at 12.30pm. Please stay at church afterwards to share refreshments with the happy couple. Also, please hold them up in prayer as they move towards their big day.
- Clothing the Saints: Don’t forget to visit the Lady Chapel where as a response to our sermon series on clothing, you are invited to use one of the cut out pieces of clothing to write down a prayer – ‘God help me to put on…, God help me to take off… and Thank you lord that I am clothed in…’ and then peg it to the line.
- Easter Services: Thursday 18th April is Maundy Thursday and there will be an evening service 7.30pm at Christ Church. The following day 19th April is Good Friday and again, there will be an evening service at 6.00pm. For Easter Sunday 21st April, there will be one joint service at 10.30am.
- Womens Afternoon Tea: On Saturday 11th May you are warmly invited to join us at Christ Church for afternoon tea at 2.30pm. As well as time to be with friends, we will be hearing a short thought from one of our ladies about her story. We hope it will be a real treat and can’t wait to see you there! With the same format as last year, it’s a fantastic opportunity to invite along people who do not yet know Jesus so please be praying about who you can invite. The event will finish around 4.30pm.(Childcare will be provided for children aged 3+ years in the Mission House).
- Children’s Ministry Team and Family Picnic: On Sunday 12th May after the 11.00am service we would like to invite everyone involved in the children’s ministry this year to a picnic at Foxhill (Nr Frodsham) as a big thank you for being awesome! So, if you are a child in any of the groups (Creche/Gems/Rock Solid or Crypt) please bring your family along, or if you have helped as a leader or a helper on children’s teams in past 12 months come join us! For full details contact Hannah Giddings firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Men’s Cycling Weekend: There are two places left for this annual Christ Church event. Friday 17th – Sunday 19th May. Please contact David Irwin for full details – 07800 743222.
- Baptisms & Confirmations 2019: A date has been set for this year’s Baptism & Confirmation Service at the River – Sunday 9th June. This will replace the normal two services at Christ Church and will be at 11.00am. If you have been thinking and praying about either Baptism or Confirmation, please let Graham or Ralph know.
- EP Launch Worship Evening: ‘Songs for the City’ is a new EP of congregational worship songs recorded and released by the Northgate Church worship team, written by Andy Clark. Join them at Northgate on Sunday 24th March at 7.30pm (doors 7.00pm) for a time of worship to sing songs that were written right here in Chester. This is a free event with refreshments included and music available to buy. Visit www.northgate.org.uk/northgatemusic.
- Dramatic Solo Performance: Mark’s Gospel – 13,726 words, 678 verses,16 chapters, 2 hours, 1 actor. A dramatic solo performance by Howard Jones, directed by Frank McGregor. Saturday 6th April. Doors open at 7.00pm for coffee & cake and a 7.30pm start. Suggested donation £5 pp. ‘This evening was excellent! It was professional & brilliantly performed, but more than that, it was moving and spiritually profound, touching heart and soul.’ Trinity Methodist Church, Whitby Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0AB. For more information contact Nigel on 07871 374690 or email@example.com.
- Twenty is Plenty: As part of Foxhill’s 50th Anniversary year there is a new scheme that offers a limited number of places on the programme of residential retreats for just £20. It is specifically for anyone who would benefit from spending time on retreat but would otherwise be unable to attend due to financial restrictions. Retreat information can be found at foxhillchester.co.uk. To request a Twenty is Plenty application pack, contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org and places will be on a first come, first served basis. (One retreat/person/year)
- West Cheshire Foodbank: In order to support local people in crisis, there is a WCF designated box at the back of church. At the moment there is a shortage of UHT Milk, UHT Juice, Tinned Potatoes, Instant Custard and Instant Mash. For the full shopping list visit https://westcheshire.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/donate-food/.
AND THE USUAL…
- Vicar, Rev Graham Shaw contact details: 57 Black Diamond Park, Newtown, Chester CH1 3ET (Graham’s day off is Friday) Phone (01244) 325302, email email@example.com.
- Associate Vicar, Rev Ralph Kemp contact details: (Ralph’s day off is Saturday) Phone 07762 847211, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administrator, Carys Addison: If you wish to contact the church on any administration matters or if you have any notices for inclusion in future notice sheets, please email email@example.com or call 07443 584528 and leave a message. (Wednesday noon is the deadline for notices). Office days: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Interns: Ed Newman firstname.lastname@example.org, Kerry Bowler email@example.com, Shona Hayes firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday School: During the 11.00am service, Christ Church operates three children’s groups, Gems, the younger group is aimed at ages 2-6 years (under 2’s welcome with an accompanying adult). Rocksolid is for children aged 6 plus. Crypt is our new group for ages 10 and over. For babies and under 2’s, there is a purpose built Crèche area in the vestry, complete with a TV link to the service. For further details, speak to Hannah Giddings email@example.com
- Drop In: For information about Drop In, please contact Sue Ibrahim: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect Groups: Joining a Christ Church Connect Group is a great way to enjoy mid-week fellowship and Bible study. If you are interested and would like more information, please email the Connect Group Coordinator Shona Hayes email@example.com.
- Giving at Christ Church: Giving or tithing is an important part of being a member of a church. At Christ Church we don’t take a collection at the 11.00am service, but you can give either via the donation box at the back of church, directly via the ‘4 Ways to Give’ page of the website, or by setting up a standing order at your bank. Forms are also available on the website; go to ‘Giving’ then ‘4 Ways to Give’. www.christchurchchester.com
- Expense claims and other administration paperwork: Please place in the postbox marked ‘Church Admin’ in the vestry on the wall by the safe. Alternatively, post through the Mission House letterbox.
- Church Website: Our website has a backlog of past sermons, and information about what’s going on at church on www.christchurchchester.com. You can also follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/christchurchchester), Twitter (www.twitter.com/ChChChester) and Instagram www.instagram.com/christchurchchester
- Hearing Loop: A Hearing or Induction Loop takes a sound source and transfers it directly to a hearing aid without background noise, interference or acoustical distortion. This facility is available at Christ Church, but please be aware that it is not compatible with the music microphone system at the 11 o’clock service.